A parastomal hernia is a condition when any part of the intestines protrudes or stick out of the stoma. A stoma is an opening that is created surgically in the abdomen. It involves the small intestine or large intestine and enables a person to pass out waste through it. The waste is collected outside the body in a pouch that adheres to the stoma. This operation is required when persons have issues with the gastrointestinal system that does not allow him or them to have normal bowel functioning.
Parastomal hernia is among one of the most common complications after the Ostomy. Almost 78% percent of the patients undergo parastomal hernia after the Ostomy surgery. It mostly occurs within the two years after the surgery.
What are some most common signs and symptoms?
- You will feel pain and discomfort near the stoma
- You will have a hard experience keeping the Ostomy appliance in place
- You may observe a bulge near the stoma especially when you are coughing
What are the causes for parastomal hernia?
Very nearly 5-10 % of individuals with colostomies have opportunities to foster hernia and just about 3-10% of patients with ileostomy likewise develop a parastomal hernia. In any case, it is hard to tell that who may be influenced by parastomal hernia. A few variables can assist you with foreseeing it before its turn of events.
- Location of the stoma: Typically, when another stoma is made, it should be brought through a muscle present in the midsection that is referred to as rectus abdominous. On the off chance that the stoma is set external this muscle, this might foster a hernia.
- Obesity: People with a ton of fats or stoutness have a bigger number of opportunities to foster a hernia than others.
- Malnutrition: If you don’t take an even eating regimen or you have a horrible eating routine after the medical procedure, this won’t just influence the recuperating time yet, in addition, debilitate your parastomal region.
- Age: Advancing age can be the justification for helpless muscles tone. This will foster hernia all the more without any problem.
- Increased intra-stomach pressure: The conditions like extreme hacking, serious wheezing, or lifting a substantial article can likewise debilitate the muscles of the mid-region close to the stoma; this will be the justification for the expanded pressing factor inside the mid-region that can prompt a hernia.
- Infection following stomal medical procedure: Any sort of contamination can debilitate the muscles of the stomach divider and prompts a parastomal hernia.
Parastomal hernias might happen soon after the medical procedure and in different cases, it requires numerous years to occur. Normally, individuals (80%) don’t encounter any confusion during hernias and recuperate with no intercessions. The remainder of the 20% may see a few manifestations that should be settled any oversaw right away. Now and again, a hernia can be seen uniquely in a specific position, for example, in case you are standing or sitting. Also, this will vanish when if you will lie on your back. Sometimes, a hernia can be seen in any position.
Who is at the risk of getting parastomal hernias?
Some people have higher chances to get parastomal hernias. These are people with:
- Older age
- High blood pressure
- Respiratory issues
How it can be treated?
In most cases, it can be treated by adopting some lifestyle changes, for example, weight loss quit smoking. Wearing an Ostomy belt also aids in relieving symptoms.
20 % of the hernias need surgery for healing.
The most common surgical procedures are:
- Closing the stoma: It is considered the best option for the repair of parastomal hernias. It is an option for patients who have healthy bowel that can reconnect the ends that form stomas.
- Repairing the hernia: In this method, the surgeon opens the wall of the abdomen and stitch the muscles and the tissue along. It narrows or closes the hernia. In the case of a small hernia, this is the best option.
- Relocating the hernia: In some situations, the surgeon needs to close the stoma which has gained parastomal hernia and create a new stoma anywhere else in the abdomen. A new stoma may be formed around the prior stoma.
Mesh: Mesh insert is one of the most common and best treatments nowadays. A surgeon may use a synthetic or biological mesh. Although the biological mesh is more expensive, it is more comfortable. This is the same as other surgeries. In addition, a mesh is placed over the hernia and below the abdominal wall so that it appears as a strong bridge, and chances for a hernia to reoccur are very less.
The intestines can be twisted or trapped in the hernia, but it very rare case. This leads to the blockage of the intestines and causes loss of blood. This results in a very painful condition referred to as strangulation. It needs emergency surgery otherwise blood will not reach the intestine and it may get damaged forever.
Living with a parastomal hernia:
Parastomal hernias are common after the surgery. You can get over this condition easily by taking good care of yourself and making some changes in your life.